Monday, April 14, 2008

Amanda at Economic Justice Network (EJN)

Amanda's reflection on EJN


The past few months have been very hectic for Economic Justice Network, and it's been exciting to help out this NGO is the midst of all that it is doing. I've had the opportunity to assist at a conference on Econmic Partnership Agreements (trade agreements) which took place here in Cape Town, and was also able to attend a workshop on budget monitoring hosted by EJN in Johannesburg. I'm been assisting with activity reports/summaries to send out to partners, conducting research on food security policy in countries across Southern Africa, and doing work related to these meetings and workshops. As my internship draws to a close, I'm turning the report of the Economic Partnership Agreement conference into a publication which can be given to partners to help explain issues surrounding these trade agreements.

As I write this from the EJN office, I'm looking out the window at St. George's Cathedral, where Desmond Tutu preached during Apartheid. Beyond that, I can see the streets and buildings that I've come to know so well during my last few months of interning downtown. On a building behind this one hangs a huge banner that says "Western Cape: This place I call home", and after spending the past few months here, that couldn't be more true. I had never dreamed of fidning myself here in this historic, vibrant city, and I think a piece of me will always feel at home here in Cape Town.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

Nice to hear you have such good memories of the EJN. I'm leaving Holland in 5 days, to do my internship at the EJN, so i hope to have gained similar experiences after 5 months. Greets,

Kristel